Threats & Opportunities for the Heating Fuel Industry in New York
The threats to the energy industry are real, but the good news is there are also some very real opportunities that can protect our future.
Threats to the Heating Fuel Industry
- Homeowners will pay for expensive conversions for equipment that is unreliable in extremely cold weather
- The Climate Act includes plans to get 70% of energy from renewable resources by 2030 and 100% by 2040
- New York plans to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 40% by 2030 and by 85% in 2050
- Carbon taxation is being considered for the distribution and sale of all fossil fuels
- Residents who have fossil fuel heating systems will be required to convert to heat pumps
Bioheat® Fuel: Opportunities Existing for the Industry
- In December 2021, Governor Kathy Hochul signed a bill phasing in a requirement that all heating oil sold in the state of New York is to have 5% biodiesel content by July 1, 2022, 10% by 2025, and 20% biodiesel by 2030.
- As a whole, the Northeast fuels industry has pledged, with the Providence Resolution of 2019, to reach net-zero carbon emissions by 2050 through accelerated use of higher blends of Bioheat® fuel.
- Widespread use of Bioheat® fuel by heating fuel customers demonstrates the industry’s commitment to be a partner in climate change activities.
- Bioheat® fuel allows retailers significant marketing opportunities to rebrand their companies by offering a clean, renewable fuel that signifies environmental stewardship.
- Bioheat® fuel provides heating fuel retailers and their customer service and sales representatives a strong environmental and efficiency message to ward off conversions to natural gas and electric heat pumps.
- Bioheat® fuel will keep retailers in business for years to come and can even expand their existing customer base.
- One Industry – One Choice was featured in the 2021 edition of the Empire State Energy Association Magazine.
Unique Benefits of Bioheat® Fuel & Biodiesel Usage
Bioheat® fuel is a renewable liquid heating fuel that is readily available, made in the US, produces significantly fewer carbon emissions, and requires no cost to convert. Here are some specific benefits of the fuel option:
Net-Zero Emissions by 2050
Bioheat® fuel is on its way to net-zero emissions. The industry is committed to greenhouse gas reduction and is on track to reach 100% renewable by 2050.
Provided by Small Businesses
Bioheat® fuel is delivered by local, companies with a vested interest in their communities. They live, work, and support the economy and care about the customers that they serve.
No Cost to Convert
Bioheat® fuel is compatible with existing heating systems and biodiesel is compatible with existing diesel vehicles. There is no extra cost to start using Bioheat® fuel or biodiesel.
Available Now & Growing
Bioheat® fuel and biodiesel are made from readily available feedstocks, all of which are waste products and byproducts of existing food supply lines.
Fewer Emissions Now
Bioheat® fuel is a blended heating fuel that produces significantly fewer emissions and utilizes renewable resources that would otherwise be wasted.
Operational Even in Cold Climates
With the combination of high-efficiency equipment and Bioheat® fuel’s high heat output, consumers can heat spaces well while keeping costs low.